Thursday, April 19, 2007

Does a picture REALLY tell 1,000 words?


Mona Lisa Smile
Originally uploaded by karneyli.

Last night I was elected to Chair the Chicago Chapter of Advance, an organisation for expatriate Australians (check out www.advance.org for more info on the organisation itself).

The opportunity is a great one and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into the diverse events that the Committee talked about hosting this year. I am personally in charge of the Melbourne Cup event, which will already be a complete fizzer if it doesn't in some small way end up like the episode in "Kath & Kim". You Aussies know what I mean. It's just not 'the race that stops a nation' without carrot in your fascinator, and barfing in a portaloo.

But something tells me I'm going to have to aim a little higher brow for our event. We'll see.

In any case, my latest drama is that I need to provide the NY headquarters of Advance with a recent photo and a bio for posting on the website. Oh boy. Do you think I have any recent photos that make me look like someone you'd want to meet in Chicago? Hell no. If you want double-chinned, crazy-eyed, cocktail-swilling action shots, I'm your gal. But perfectly-poised, hair-just-so, Chairperson-worthy photographic material I just don't got.

So I'm coincidentally having my hair cut tonight and I'm going to ask Dara to give me special 'sassy hair' (as she usually does anyway) and while I may not have a photo taken tonight at home, at least the new 'do will put me in the mood to write a spectacular bio that might just be compelling enough to encourage people to ignore the photo and trust the words to do the work for me. And if all else fails, I live with a Photoshop expert who is not above unethical conduct if it makes for a happy flatmate. Ahh, bless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got 3 particularly spectacular photos of you at home that you could use .... vegemite munching and "directing traffic" ........ of any use to you????????

Unknown said...

i have no problem with that.

and you can pay me with diet coke.

Parisienne said...

Mmm, I feel like I should have something to offer too but I know that you and I have pretty much the same stance on photos. I would be very hard pressed to find a decent one of me either! Good luck though and I say take up Lexie's kind offer, nothing to lose except that noone may recognise you at the next event...

If in doubt, break out the Melbourne Cup hat now I reckon.

Anonymous said...

I have one of you all skinny in a red scivvy and hardly any front teeth - but maybe they want something more recent...?

Then again, you were sporting some lovely crimped hair in that photo too....