Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A blushing rose in every cheek


Vegemite
Originally uploaded by Miss Gab.

I am not a diplomat. I can be diplomatic when I need to be, but I am not officially employed as a diplomat. And yet, I get very irritated at myself when I commit cultural faux pas, particularly in front of other Aussies.

Last night I went along to a board meeting of the Midwest's chapter of an expat organisation called Advance (HQ in New York) with a view to nominating myself as a shadow member. Apparently this means you go to meetings, eat the nibblies, and listen in on the conversation, without ever having to take an official position. Sweet.

So with my shadow membership supported by the majority of rather mystified co-members, I stuffed nibblies in my face, drank Aussie wine, and actually enjoyed the meeting. The membership is comprised of young professionals in really interesting jobs across Chicago. They are a lively bunch, with great senses of humour and wonderful ideas about how best to bring together the Aussies dispersed across the 11 States of the Midwest. I like these people.

And yet I couldn't resist throwing in a glib remark here and there. Bouncing off other glib remarks, naturally. One Aussie girl was commenting on social events the group could organise. We can invite our American friends too, she enthusiastically exclaimed, further adding that her friends really just want to meet Aussie guys.

Without thinking (evidently), I chuckled to myself and busted out with: Why!?

The silence that followed was deafening.

And then the boys in the group, by far the majority, retort with a rather offended (though equally belated) "Heyyyyyyy".

Bummer. By now I was red from head to toe, unable to back-pedal, even if I'd wanted to. But worse than that - it was abundantly clear that I would never, ever be dating any of THOSE Aussie guys any time soon.

Fortunately the bowl of pretzels was close by and I was able to shovel then in my mouth every time the urge to say ANYTHING tempted me. And thus I passed the rest of my first meeting. I did take on some action items though, which was pretty good for someone who isn't meant to even exist on the Committee. I think they call that person, sucker. I call it penance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And in seeing your blog photo it does cause me to comment that the US Govt has NOT stopped the importation of Vegemite into the US. Seemingly common sense has prevailed .... and they understood that only Ozzies eat the stuff anyhow so there is no competition to their folate market.

Anonymous said...

haha Gab, so funny!

I dont understand the fixation with dating Aussie guys either - they fart just like the rest of them. :p

Now Drug Lords from Me-hi-co (or was it Cuba) who smuggle ladies of the night and small children across the border....know any of those Gab? **giggle** - Tongue in cheek Mum!!!

Unknown said...

He wasn't Cuban, OR Mexican - he was Puerto Rican...and he wasn't a smuggler Jems, though I think really you were excited by the idea that he might have been!