Monday, September 18, 2006

But where does THIS cord go?

At the risk of shocking you speechless with an understatment, I'm going to put forward that I am not technically-minded. I know what an ipod is, and I even know how to put songs on it. But I am not sure how cable works and I certainly can't unravel the mystery of the cable TV remote. To me, the concept of a little set-top box that also allows you to record several TV programs, not only digitally, but simultaneously, is something that makes my brain hurt.

And here we are in our apartment, sans cable for the first time since moving in. And it's all the fault of the evil ground floor she-hags that have since been thrust into homelessness by our clever landlord. You may remember these girls caused me many sleepless nights with their carousing and partying and general foulness at all hours of the (school) night. Fortunately they've now gone and I don't care where, but for the fact that they took the cable connection with them.

So when Lex got the Comcast people out to hook us back up, we realised that our initial cable was being supplied by a complex web of split wires and half circuits coming up through the floor boards. Tricky. And also rather illegal. Whee. Fortunately for us, the Comcast nerds knew we had nothing to do with it but they didn't exactly know how to fix it either.

As a result, we're going to remain without cable until this Friday. And normally that would not be a drama in and of itself. Except for the fact that this Thursday marks the season premieres of House; CSI; and - most importantly - Grey's Anatomy.

So I'd like to put a special shout out thank you to Pete, who is giving me his house keys so that Lex and I (and a pizza and beer and plenty of Kleenex) can crash at his place on Thursday evening before he gets home, and cue up the episode of Grey's. Poor Pete will no doubt return home to two women sobbing on his sofa, swooning over Dr McDreamy. But god bless him for letting us crash all the same. And please let the Comcast crew hook us up on Friday, and please let the TV remote be something I can work out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, women, the TV and the remote. I guess I could go into the whole frontal temporal lobe thing and men are from Mars and women are from wherever (just so long as the boobs are in the front) .... but it would all be wasted 'coz I'm the only bloke who reads this blog anywhoooo. Thanx to Pete for taking charge and shoooing the gals into the right stalls for Thursday - just seems a whole lot easier that way than trying to explain it.

By the way, is there anyone out there who knows how to reset my digital alarm clock?????

Anonymous said...

If God had meant women to operate TV remotes he would have made them look like a handbag .... as for cable .... well, only if you have hairy legs and armpits.

glamah16 said...

Well at least you got the skanks out. Peace atlast.