Monday, August 07, 2006

When laughter is the ONLY medicine


look, no eyes
Originally uploaded by phitar.
Tonight was a comedy of errors. I was meant to get the Number 8 bus to meet Courts, her Certain Someone, and Rak for dinner in Greek Town. However I hadn't remembered that there was some hippy festival a few streets over in Boystown that was re-routing traffic and making it impossible for anyone to get anywhere on time. So that's how I found standing idly at a bus stop for 25 minutes, then trying to hail myself a taxi, and unable to do even that.

As the scheduled meeting time drew ever closer, I got increasingly antsy and said some more very uncomplimentary things about the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA). As I did so, the bus drew up and I boarded, with yet another harrumph. [Note: I am getting quite good at harrumphing now, having done it several times this week, mostly in the general direction of CTA employees.]

And the bus ride was pretty much uneventful, save for the flea-ridden transient with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, who wandered down the bus opening all the windows, then wandering back up the bus, closing all the windows again with an almighty slam. Scratching his private areas as he did so, naturally.

Finally free of the bus ride, I realised quickly that the $7.99 all-you-can-eat Indian buffet at the restaurant I had nominated for our night out was popular with the undesirables in the local Chicago community. From the relative safety of the other side of the street, we could clearly see that the front area of the Indian restaurant was populated with some very dodgy types, whose more permanent address was quite probably the two-bit hotel upstairs. Boy, I know how to pick a restaurant, eh?

So we were happy to put the fate of our dining experience in the hands of Courts and Rak, who ended up choosing very wisely indeed. Our dinner in Greek Town was fortunately a big success. Rather than dining at an Indian restaurant like I would have made us do, we actually went to a Greek place. Nice one, Gab.

All I can do is laugh and shake my head at myself. Sometimes it's all I have left.

4 comments:

glamah16 said...

Oh don't beat yourself up. You didn't miss much after you left. Just more twenty somethings, Rak acting shy in attempts to pick up some blond, and Certain Someone finally busting a move as the music improved. Still got a goods night sleep.

Anonymous said...

Oh god, your picture looks like Granny!

Unknown said...

Jinkies, that's exactly what I thought Jems hehe

Anonymous said...

Stop pick'n on Granny - she can hear you ........