Friday, June 30, 2006

You're crowding my fabulousness

Last night marked the second birthday of a very cool club that I've been to a few times already, MaxBar. Ladies were invited to turn up for free massages and manicures between 8pm and 10pm, and knock back free martinis made with Effen vodka. Who was I to turn down such a beautiful and tempting party invitation?

In the past, I've been fortunate enough to enjoy the hospitality of MaxBar's VIP area, but at last night's event, most of the action was had in the front bar. So we made sure to arrive early and grabbed a booth. Irene and me had already agreed to meet Courts at the club, so Kate and Shylee raided my closet for 'going out' tops (aww it's just like having my sister back with me), and Emma and her sister Liz came along too. We made quite an eye-catching group of girls, if I can say so; all dressed up and ready to party. And right from the outset, we were clearly intent on having a great time. Kate and Shylee took full advantage of the free manicures, while I gave the vodka martinis my early attention. Massages were out - you all know my strict 'no touch' policy.

At one point in the evening, some official-looking guy with an earpiece and microphone had the audacity to interrupt our Bon Jovi air guitar tribute to inform us that we would have to vacate our booth. Clearly not interested in surrendering our precious piece of real estate, I sought clarification from Mr Earpiece. I was told that "some VIPs coming in need the booth". Well we weren't having any of that. No siree. I instructed Mr Earpiece (who was by now regretting coming to talk to us at all) that he should ask people in the OTHER booths to shift, and that the VIPs can have THEIR booth, not ours. Emma went one better and told him a long story about the restaurant she works for (very fancy, do you mind) and that she would simply spread it to the staff and all her patrons that the MaxBar evicted paying customers from booths for no real reason other than to satisfy the whims of wannabe VIPS. We love Emma. And with that, Mr Earpiece skulked off into the crowd, never to be seen again.

But everyone knows that the real reason this upstart tried to evict us was because we simply weren't buying enough drinks to keep us in the booth. Or perhaps it had something to do with our Bon Jovi tribute. Who's to say?

As the clock struck 2am, Kate started to pole dance in the bar out the back of the club, and it was at that point that I decided we should probably head home. VIPs or not, in a booth or not, we all had a great time at one of the most fun birthday parties I'd been to in a long while.

2 comments:

glamah16 said...

I still cant get over that sweet young angelic child 'pole dancing'. Wish I saw that part.Max Bar would do well to keep you happy.How dare they! They didnt kick the bacherlorette party out that got tons of free champagne and didnt even tip!

Anonymous said...

didnt have to swear u know - just 'vodka' would have been fine

;)