Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Welcome home, now go to sleep!


I went out to O'Hare last night on Chicago's blue line train, straight from Downtown.  The trip only took about 40 minutes, but felt so much longer given the rush-hour crowds.  I had to stand up for most of the way, and I think that always makes the carriages feel so much smaller and more stuffy.  But a few stops short of the airport, the crowd thinned out a bit and I was able to sit down and chill out.

Of course I had arrived at the airport at least one hour before the boys were due to arrive, but I wanted to make sure I kept a close watch on the American Airlines "Arrivals" screens in case the baggage terminal changed and I had to dash around the arrivals hall to greet them.

Lexie had made a great little sign to welcome the boys to Chicago - really colourful and I held it up with pride.  Josh and Tristan were not nearly as embarassed as I'd hoped they be by that little gesture, but it sure was great to see them again.

By the time we left the airport at 8pm, the taxi ride back to my place was actually faster than the train had been - but a great deal more relaxing too.  Arriving at the apartment, I set to work cooking dinner while the boys unpacked.  Preston didn't know what to do with himself with the new visitors so he just ran around, banging into things with the bucket still on his head.  

After a simple dinner of chicken pasta and a bottle of sparkling Italian prosecco that I'd been chilling for days, we all declared it bedtime.  Once I'd settled down into my bed, I realised it was only 10.15pm, but I was tired right down to my bones.  I can only imagine how the boys are feeling, having dealt with LA, Las Vegas, and the Grand Canyon in the past week.

Given that the boys were more keen to spend today doing laundry and exploring the immediate neighbourhood, I figure it might be nice to introduce them to Cesar's (aka Frozen Margarita Heaven) for a nice feed of Mexican food tonight.  Plus I don't really think the contents of my pantry could combine to make a palatable meal right now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The mind boggles from here .... like 2 little boys in a lolly shop with a pocketful of money to spend.