Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A white sportscoat and a pink carnation



I am going out to O'Hare tonight to welcome Josh and Tristan to Chicago. A long way from their Adelaide home, Josh and Tristan are the middle of an American odyssey of sorts, and have agreed to spend some time with me as a base while they also visit New York and other key tourist cities close to me (maybe Boston, maybe Toronto). I have a friend, also from Adelaide, who works at the Flight Centre here in Chicago, and has already agreed to hook the boys up with some cheap flights around the place, which is great.

But another thing I'm really looking forward to while the boys are here is the Spring Benefit fundraiser for the Lincoln Park Zoo, being held on Friday 2 June 2006. It's my first official black tie event ever and I'm really looking forward to seeing Josh and Tristan, and all the other guys, decked out in their penguin suits. A principal job is now to find a decent tuxedo rental place to outfit Josh and Tristan appropriately. Dapper is da word, G.

As for me, I was not inclined to trawl through the stores this time. Even though it's prom season and the shops are bursting with appropriate frocks, the thought of the sheer number of excitable young teens vying for the same styles made me feel rather ill. So I shopped online and found this great little green dress that fits me like a glove.

The theme of the Benefit is "Out of Africa" and while I may resemble a palm frond dressed like this, I am nevertheless really looking forward to 'glamming up' for the occasion and dancing the night away, less like 'foliage', and more like 'film star'.

4 comments:

glamah16 said...

You'll like a princess with , two, count them, two dates. And I'll be all by my lonesome...

Unknown said...

Nah, I'm not letting the boys cramp my style. They're going together, and I'm making a big thing about going solo to this gig.

I even plan to enter the room by myself in case the Chicago social pages photographers are out and flashing. And taking photos (boom boom).

Here's to finally buying a halter-top dress I don't need to tape myself into - hurrah!

Anonymous said...

Watch out for some of those 'wild' dance moves otherwise ...... well, you know what we don't want to see splashed on 'New Idea'.

Anonymous said...

I love your new dress. You will look fabulous at the ball dahling! But I have to know how you found it on line, where did you go and how on earth did you know it would fit like a glove? I can never find anything remotely interesting when I look on line.

Lee xx