Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A smokin' career move


CigarBeauty
Originally uploaded by cariephoto.

One amusing thing about having house guests is that they are quick to remind you of stories you thought you'd never forget. Under the guise of reminiscing and galloping down memory lane, stories come out of the lost recesses of your mind to be relived and savoured. Or in my case, a proverbial skeleton gets yanked out of my mind's closet, to dance in front of me - much to Mr Joshua's delight.

Let me start this story by revealing up front that Josh is a great cook, and an even better house guest because he has volunteered to flex his culinary muscles tonight to whip up a Thai seafood curry. Trying to be helpful, I offered to buy the wine but needed a quick refresher on what he and Tristan do (and don't) drink. The verdict? Sparkling white and flat reds are in, but flat whites and sparkling reds are absolutely out.

And then Josh questioned whether I drink sparkling red anymore. I confessed that I hadn't had a sip of the stuff since I was in Australia, even though I'm aware you can actually buy some decent Aussie sparklers here in Chicago.

It was at that point that Josh started to laugh and suggested that I hadn't touched the stuff because of the infamous last time I had it. Oh yes, it all came flooding back.....

Not only had I just about demolished a whole bottle of Grant Burge Sparking Burgundy on my own (under Josh's supervision, might I add for the benefit of my parents who are probably disowning me right about now), but then I was smoking cigars at Fumo Blu in Rundle Street. Now before some of you Adelaide readers get all self-righteous, haven't we all done something a little dodgy at that bar? It must be the blue lighting...or maybe it's the Long Island Iced Teas, who knows exactly? Anyway in the scheme of things I think we can agree that smoking cigars in a cocktail and cigar lounge like Fumo Blu is all fairly harmless really, right?

But Josh was laughing because of who I was smoking them with. That's right folks, it was none other than my future boss, the Federal Minister for Foreign Affairs (and an Adelaide boy himself), the Hon Alexander Downer MP!

Naturally I have a fuzzy recollection of being at the bar, let alone being in the bar and smoking cigars with the Minister! And I will not be bringing it up with him if ever our paths cross again, let me stress that.

I do cringe at the memory, and yet when Josh brought it up today, I laughed out loud but still went very red - reliving the embarassment all over again. In fact, I flushed almost as red as the sparkling burgundy itself. Good times, good times.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say Hi to the boys from us and we're glad they made it safely. We can have a debrief and slide-night when they get back home.

If there are any last minute messages/suggestions Josh wants to send to the guys back at WORK while he is on HOLIDAYS, your blog should be the perfect avenue.

Anonymous said...

well, I have been to Fumo Blu but I haven't met anyone like the Minister. I did get drunk on wine and chatted with George........nah, still not as interesting.

glamah16 said...

I could say a million things. But your family reads this. In the US, cigars, young career woman, and cigars are a no no. It is best you forget.

Unknown said...

Never mention Long Island Iced Tea again - we had an understanding!