Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Please sir, I want some s'mores?!


S'mores cookies
Originally uploaded by Hankerific.
Lexie regarded me quizzically yesterday evening, as if trying to convince herself that she had indeed heard me correctly. "What do you mean, you've never had a s'more!?" she asked, incredulously, scarcely believing that I'd made it to 28 years of age without ever having enjoyed what appears to me (and no one else) to be an American rite of passage treat.

So next thing I knew, we were hot-footing it down to the local 24-hour market to buy the ingredients to make what's known as a "s'more". The true art of the s'more is in its construction, and the process is quite laboured. In the kitchen, that is. If you're out in the wilderness and enjoying s'mores around the campfire (which is the traditional way, apparently), the assembly and consumption is made much easier because you can be as messy as you like.

And the production of s'mores is a messy affair. You take a sweet Graham cracker (pronounded "gram" cracker, because apparently the 'h' is entirely superfluous - consider the way "herbs" is pronounced in this country, if you need further proof). Balance a square of Hershey's milk chocolate on the Graham cracker and toast a marshmallow over the gas light in your kitchen. You can see now why this project is much more safely tackled around a campfire. Once the marshmallow is nice and golden, slap it on the Hershey square, place another Graham cracker on top, and squish the whole lot down into a sickly, gooey sandwich.

Keep your dentist on standby because after just one s'more, my teeth felt like they were rotting out of my head. The sugar rush felt good for about thirty seconds, and then I felt plain ill.

Lexie then shared with me the rules of the campfire game, "Chubby Bunny". The rules are simple - you stuff a marshmallow in your mouth and say the words "Chubby Bunny". The person who can stuff the most marshmallows in their mouth and STILL say "Chubby Bunny" wins. But I expect the winner is ultimately the person who can do all that without barfing marshmallow all over the place! I would not do well in that competition either, I don't think. My sister, on the other hand....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This reminds me of a cup of melted chocolate I once encountered - it seemes such a good idea but not so much.

kilabyte said...

And these days your sister is likely to stuff marshmallows anywhere ....... she's becoming a real problem, just ask da momma after last night ......... sheesh !!!

kilabyte said...

Hey Reggie ... melted chocolate sounds OK, it's more a matter of how it was used and how it was eaten ....... hmmmmm, chocolate. A good pastime for two people.