Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Turning Morgan Freeman into Richard Gere


2006ces_094.JPG
Originally uploaded by dsearls.
I've been trying very hard since I moved to Chicago to keep up with my blog and show friends and family from around the world that I am enjoying myself here and keeping busy with all manner of social and corporate events.

But let's face it folks, life is about peaks and troughs, and even the hardiest party girls need a breather every now and again. And Lexie and I are no exception. So Friday night was about pizza and pyjamas. And it was good.

Lex and I decided we wanted to watch "Kiss The Girls" with Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd. But then we wanted to watch "Primal Fear" with Edward Norton and Richard Gere. Figuring that we were on the cusp of a 'thriller marathon', we pondered whether there were other links between the genre of the two films. That spurned an analysis of whether there were links between ALL the other films in Lexie's collection.

So we invented The Movie Game. The rules are simple. You start with one movie, like "Kiss The Girls", and try and connect it with another movie on the shelf, by finding an actor that the two movies have in common. So sticking to this method, Friday night's version of The Movie Game rolled on as follows:

Kiss The Girls (Morgan Freeman)
Seven (Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt)
Ocean's 11 (Brad Pitt and Matt Damon)
Dogma (Matt Damon and Alan Rickman)
Love Actually (Alan Rickman and Laura Linney)
Primal Fear (Laura Linney, Richard Gere)

See how it works? You decide where you want to start and where you want to end up, and you create a movie chain around that. But the catch is that the chain can ONLY consist of movies you already have in your DVD collection.

It's not as easy as it sounds. But by the time we were done on Friday night, we had a chain of 44 movies, all linked by actors. Only two actors were repeated (Alan Rickman and Kate Hudson), but to our credit, we didn't double-up on a single movie!

But I promise that from now on, I'll only report on my busy life and give you a break from my rest periods. They are obviously very scary.

No comments: