Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Lest We Forget


Sometimes I forget my name, and where I put my house keys.  But no matter how bad all that gets, I will never forget where I was one year ago today.

I was camping out with my fellow Top Deck travellers at ANZAC Cove on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey.  Can you believe that one year has already passed since I participated in the 90th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing?  Where has the time gone?

The Consulate is marking today's sombre occasion with an indoor event for Aussies and our important clients in the Midwest.  We're expecting about 300 people there too, which is pretty good.  We've got Aussie wines and beers, which is also all good as far as I'm concerned.

So however you spent ANZAC Day, I hope you were given pause to think back on what the day means to Australians all over the world.  I'm fortunate to have some great photos of Turkey to look back on and recall the 90th anniversary of the landing, but I'm also lucky to be able to share this year's celebration with a bunch of Aussies far from home but no less keen to honour the sacrifices of fellow Australians so many years ago.

No comments: