Monday, April 24, 2006

What about Friday?


In my haste to rapidly round up a report on my week in Chicago with Kate, I neglected to share with you our visit to the John Hancock Tower on Friday evening.  The Hancock is a primarily an office building built on Michigan Avenue (the Magnificent Mile), but it also happens to have THE view over the City from the 95th Floor.

To capitalise on its prime location and superb views, the Hancock has opened The Signature Room (Signature...John Hancock...get it?).  And it was to the Signature Room that Kate, Courtney and I went on Friday afternoon once my working week was through.  

While I'm sure the night time views are exceptional, there was no reason to sniff at the outlook we enjoyed at early dusk on Friday.  As the sun was setting, we each downed a cocktail and some relaxation.  But the best views at the Hancock are visible from - wait for it - the ladies restrooms!  Sorry fellas, but you don't get to see them like we see them.  Trust us when we say that you're missing out this time - large floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the city skyline, and then inching around to Lake Michigan.  Really beautiful.

After this bit of Chicago sight-seeing, Kate and I went home to get changed, grab Lexie and Preston, and walk to a nearby recreation oval where the Chicago Aussie Rules football team was having a friendly match.  We got there a bit late of course, but it was the first game of AFL I'd seen in over a year, so I was having a good laugh.  Trying to explain the rules to Lexie was a bit of a challenge, and tested my memory, but we got there in the end, and we'll go out there again.

[Particularly given that the boys all took off their shirts at the end of the match to give their jerseys back to some poor slob who has to wash them all.  No matter - it was two great views in on evening!]

And then to celebrate our good fortune and general happiness with life, Kate and I went to Cesar's, home of the $9 jumbo margarita with a kick like a mule.  Loved it, loved it, loved it.

No comments: