Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The ANZAC spirit in Chicago


Most of the countries around the world are represented by a Consulate here in Chicago, and many of their representatives came along to our ANZAC function last night.  Of course, not every Consul-General is familiar with the story of ANZAC, so it was helpful to have the Rear Admiral from our Embassy go over a bit of history and to explain how the Aussie experience at Gallipoli has continued to shape our national identity.

Through the tears in my eyes when the bugler played The Last Post, I was able to see the true multiculturalism of Chicago that we'd managed to capture at our event.  Heads were bowed, everyone was silent, and it was an appropriately respectful and solemn occasion.

But then of course the TRUE Aussie spirit of partying and celebration was unleashed, and I chose that moment to go back to the registration table and seek feedback from guests as they left our party.  Of course everyone was very positive, but it was particularly nice for me to meet other Consul-Generals and their wives, and finally put faces to names.

I was enjoying a wonderful conversation with a South American Consul-General and his wife, neither of whom stood any taller than me.  The Consul General even spoke to me in Spanish, declaring me to be a very charming young woman.  But then his wife revealed the reason for his compliments:  she wanted my necklace (a beautiful brown shell necklace that my DEH colleagues back in Adelaide bought me as a farewell gift).  Well of course she was disheartened when I told her the necklace was from Adelaide, meaning her chances of finding a replica were slim.  But I did offer her timeshare in the necklace, on the condition that she give me timeshare on the big (and real) pearls she was wearing.  Mmm she wasn't so forthcoming about that, but I'll wear her down eventually....and the pearls will be mine.

I had a really good night, but I am really exhausted now.  I got home at about 11pm after having dinner with my boss and her son after the event.  We needed to wind down properly, and buffalo wings and spare ribs with a beer seemed to be the way to do it.  And how.

1 comment:

kilabyte said...

If you can't get timeshare on her pearls, try to get timeshare in a luxurious part of her country .... especially if it was Rio and carnavale time. In fact you could offer reciprosity .... 3 nights for you at Ipanema and 3 nights for them in a swag at Vivonne Bay on Kangaroo Island. Works for me .......