Thursday, February 23, 2006

What a load of Bull


Mascot
Originally uploaded by Dave Gorman.
At the risk of dropping a bigger bombshell than a bulimic Lindsay Lohan, I am not a particularly sporty person. Actually, to be fair to myself, I like sports - I just know that I'm no athlete. But I'm a great one-woman cheer squad. So perhaps it's not such a big surprise to me that since arriving in Chicago, I've acquired a taste for baseball - courtesy of a triumphant World Series team - and now I can turn my attention to a new interest, basketball. One trip to the United Center to see my home team play was all it took.

Biggsy pulled his finger out and organised a block of tickets for a bunch of crazy Aussies, way up in the nosebleed section, to go along and cheer the Chicago Bulls. I went along out of curiosity, and so I wouldn't miss out on anything. Plus we were all keen to check out the new recruit on the opposition (the Milwaukee Bucks), cause he's an Aussie too. No freebie tickets though - maybe I should have cheered for Milwaukee??

The United Center is also used for ice hockey games, and even concerts, so it is a pretty impressive venue. The game was true sensory overload. Flashing lights, lots of movement and colour; it was awesome, in the true sense of the word.

And the Luvabulls - the Chicago Bulls cheerleaders - were not your garden variety "Oh Mickey, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey, hey Mickey" types either. No short skirts and sneakers, no ponytails. These girls wore spangly pants and boosomy tops, with their long hair that they flipped around and made me thoroughly dizzy, and exhausted just watching them. The boys didn't mind though. And then some male 'cheerleaders' called The Matadors (flabby blokes with man boobs and cut-off tops EWWWW) came out to bust a move performing some dance numbers. But it was hysterically funny and loaded with energy.

The fact that I could see how the stadium erupted with a Bulls victory only added to the experience. Even I was on my feet by the end of it, a little unsporty blob up there in the rafters. But I was there, and that's what counts.

Go Bulls!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just remember that without the umpire, there is no game and when a team wins, it's the team's fault but when they lose it's the coaches. Not the umpires.

From somebody who is sensitive on the topic!

Anonymous said...

Andrew Bogut plays for the Bucks. He's not 20 yet but worth something like USD$20 mill. and his earning potential is something like USD$500 mill. At a height of something like 7 feet, he could have talked to you in the nose-bleed secton without having to climb any of the stairs. But from what I've seen of him they've got a lot of work to do to give him a personality - currently has the personality of a basketball.

kilabyte said...

I'm not sure about baseball but certainly worth learning the rules for basketball - and the idioms - the sport is huge in Oz as you know. The 36ers didn't do all that well this season but there's always next season.

Unknown said...

US$20 million will hopefully buy him a better haircut than the one he had last night...yikes!

Anonymous said...

Well, forget the rules i say as quickly as you learn them coz the sport is in a financial slump at the moment. Too bad so sad!

Not like Netball though. Learn the rules of that rockin' sport! All the cool people are involved in Netball.