Monday, February 27, 2006

Not an ugly duckling amongst them


swan
Originally uploaded by jaki good.
Chicago truly is a city of cultural contrasts. On the one hand, you've got outdoor ice skating and paintball skirmishes, and then on the other hand you've got fundraiser benefits and ballet. And it was the latter, slightly classier outing that I took over the weekend.

I had never been to the ballet, and when I saw that "Swan Lake" was being performed at the theatre around the corner from my work, I thought I'd grab a ticket and check it out. I didn't know the story either and now having seen the production, I'm still not sure I actually "got it". Was I reading too much into it to think there was something kinky going on between the Prince and the Swan? Probably. And everyone around me was too much of a ballet afficianado for me to ask.

And what set this production apart and made it exceed my expectation was the fact that rather than frilly tutus and Billy Elliot wannabes bulging around in tights, this production was modern dance but set to the traditional Tchaikovsky score; it was really beautiful. The lead male dancer wore leather pants for pity's sake - and no shirt either, which made me disappointed I didn't bring my binoculars. Actually, most of the male cast played swans, so they spent much of the show topless. Why was I such a groundling and resisted springing for more expensive seats in the Orchestra section of the theatre?! Damn me and my cheapskate ways.

But now I can say that I've been to the ballet and actually enjoyed it. The Joffrey Ballet was performing "Romeo and Juliet" a few weeks ago, but that was at a smaller theatre, and took the more traditional route of hair tightly pulled back in buns and lots of tulle netting and pointed toes. Nah, that's not for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I liked it so much I almost peed my pants"

"She said she liked it better than Pirates of Penzance"

(spelling of Penzance??)