Saturday, February 18, 2006

Peek-a-boo President


Lincoln's Admirers
Originally uploaded by PhotoFlyer.
I have returned to FREEZING Chicago after enjoying some fabulous sunshine in Washington DC. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised and really impressed with the beautiful city.

Washington is truly cosmopolitan and a city that presents an international community with no shortage of cultural and social good times.

Once my meetings at the Embassy were over, I enjoyed a Moonlit Monuments Tour by trolley car (though Biggsy gave me grief for not walking). For over two hours, I trolleyed (!) around the city, admiring the city's glorious landmarks - including a seated Abe Lincoln - spotlit and fabulous. The Korean War Memorial was a particular highlight, with ghostly sculptures of soldiers standing guard in the flower beds, frozen in time but looking ready for combat. It was beautiful and haunting at the same time.

I had just about overdosed on War Memorials during that tour, but still I went out on the Metro to the Arlington National Cemetery the following day. I saw the gravesites of the Kennedys and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. It's hard to believe that 300,000 servicemen, women, and their families are buried there. Until you see the rows upon rows of simple white headstones. Then you truly get a chance to appreciate just how many lives have been lost in conflict over the years. And even more alarming, I think, is that 25 funerals take place there every work day. Now don't you think that is an alarming statistic? I was surprised. I may have been the only foreigner on the Cemetery tour that looked around in shock at that figure. No one else batted an eyelid.

But Washington is a city that's all about celebrating national pride and achievements. The Smithsonian Museums are chock-full of inventions, exhibits and displays intended to celebrate American innovation. And most impressively, the monuments and buildings are elegant, respectful, and really welcoming.

I thoroughly enjoyed Washington DC and I can't wait to go back. The fact that I also met some great Aussies at the Embassy means that next time I jet into town, I won't have any problems finding someone to enjoy a cold beer with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

49% of statistics are made up on the spot anyway - or was that 39%?

I think 25 funerals a day is a hell-uva-lot too.

Did you smoke pot and drink beer on the Kennedy's grave?! Oh hang on, that's Jim Morrison - and they don't ONLY smoke pot and drink beer on his grave do they? tch tch

kilabyte said...

Last time I saw that picture there was a man in front of it wailing and packed police cars in the background "manned" by gorillas ..... seen any gorillas lately????