Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Yeah Yeah Oooh A Heatwave


32 degrees
Originally uploaded by tbonemccool.
Something that has been difficult to get used to here has been the temperature settings. Everything is in farenheit, from the weather reports to the little guage thingies on the oven. I don't really know the conversion rates from F to C degrees (I could look it up on the internet of course, but who has the time, when there is perfectly good whining to do?). All I know is, anything lower than 40 degrees (farenheit) is cold, as far as I'm concerned.

So you can imagine my childish squeals of delight earlier this week when the weather man informed me that it was going to get over 50 degrees here in Chicago in the latter part of the week! I was so excited, because it hasn't been this 'warm' since I arrived here back in October. This is the closest that we can get to a heatwave right now. For my Aussie readers, I don't to hear about your weather right now, cause I just want to have my long overdue moment in the sun here (literally).

Okay so it will only just inch over the 50 degree mark, but that is big news for me all the same. It heralds the return of the tshirt to the wardrobe. It does not yet mean swimsuit (the very Sahara itself could not induce me into THAT costume), but it does mean sunglasses, and maybe even open-toed shoes. Hmm. I haven't seen my legs in a while. I'm quite sure they should stay covered for fear of blinding the general populus.

I suppose Chicagoans are going to be like the Brits at the first sign of sunshine. We'll go out in our 'summery' gear, embrace the heat and absorb the Vitamin D, and then scurry back indoors for the onset of the big freeze that is apparently just about the corner. But I just know that all of us who were brave enough to face the warm weather will bask in the memory, and snuggle into our parkas, smiling smugly to one another on the bus.

2 comments:

Parisienne said...

Hmmm, the conversion table in the back of my diary seems to indicate that 50F is only about 10C. You might want to hold off on those open toed shoes for, oh I don't know, about five months or so!

Anonymous said...

hehehehehe !!!!! 28C in Adelaide today.