Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Spur me your cowboy puns, chaps!


stretchsmall
Originally uploaded by writerxtrodonaire.
My Office was divided yesterday, and all because of "Brokeback Mountain", the latest movie starring Aussie Heath Ledger.

I saw it on the weekend with Caroline, and had to agree with Melissa that it was not a highly entertaining movie. That said, it WAS a beautiful love story and really quite heart-breaking. But other girls at work saw it and declared it to be one hour too long. They couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Funny, no boys at the office have seen it.

So then our disagreements centered on whether we thought Heath would nab the Best Actor Oscar for his efforts. See, even the Consulate is not immune to the Oscar buzz. I'm not putting my money on it just yet - I am really keen to see "Capote" to determine whether Philip Seymour Hoffman is a true threat to Heath Baby's chances.

One thing is for sure, though. Heath Ledger IS the Malboro Man in this movie, and you have to see it just for that. It's what he doesn't say and doesn't do, that makes this movie so powerful. And the boy-on-boy action isn't gratuitous, if that's what you're worried about. Both Heath and Jake are so incredible masculine in this movie.

And there was never a better advertisement for Levi's jeans that Jake G's bum. I'm just saying...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Should have been called 'Bareback Mountain' me thinks.

Could this also be a reworking of Andy Warhol's 1969 movie 'Lonesome Cowboys'.

;)