Wednesday, January 25, 2006

With courage, let us all combine to remember the words

Australians all let us rejoice, for we are young and free

Laying in bed last night, trying to mentally scour my wardrobe for an appropriate party outfit for this weekend, I got to thinking about the party's program of events. My boss is doing a speech; an Aussie cover band will be playing some well-loved tunes; and there will even be a meat-tray raffle. But then I stopped dead and realised that there will also be the singing of the national anthem.

And I couldn't remember it.

We've golden soil and weath for toil, our home is girt by sea

I've sung Australia's national anthem about 400 times, in 400 degrees of sobriety, since I left home. Overseas pubs, particularly in Turkey, have literally vibrated with the sounds of my fellow countrymen warbling the ancient words of our national song in link-armed, patriotic brotherhood. But it's been a good few months since I've even thought about the tune, much less the lyrics, and I ended up a good deal stumped.

Our land abounds in nature's gifts of beauty rich and rare

So I did what ever other nutcase does at 1am. I sang to myself. But I did it quietly, don't worry. I had the tune correct, right from the outset - so I felt quite chuffed. Starting strongly with the lyrics (the first two lines were a breeze), but it all got fuzzy in the middle just like it does when our swimmers are up on the podium at the Olympics. Before I knew it, 'golden soil' became "wealthy boils" and 'girt by sea' was "garden seats". Verses got mixed up, the tune drifted off into something by Powerderfinger, and I was disgraced with myself.

So I refused to let myself sleep until I had the lyrics to at least the first verse down. It took 20 minutes, but now I have it. I did so well to even bring the house down with a resounding finish:
In history's page, let every stage, ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR!!!


Happy Australia Day to all,
wherever you may be!

No comments: