Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Meat, ma'am, Meat

As Australia Day approaches, and my freakouts about what I'm going to wear to the party on Saturday become more frequent, I have joined my Consular colleagues in an overwhelming, albeit expensive, display of patriotism.

I have placed an order for one dozen assorted Aussie meat pies, from a bakery all the way down in Atlanta, Georgia. And that's nothing. We've got dozens more on their way, plus lamingtons and sausage rolls too. It is an Aussie bonanza and I can't wait until the delivery man arrives. And we're having a "Pie and a Pint" lunch on Friday (after a public holiday Thursday) to celebrate the delivery and toast our collective gluttony.

It's really weird what one foodstuffs one misses after being away for only one year. I know it's bloody hot Down Under right now, so I'm not so much longing for the sweltering summer sun. But the things I do miss from the Motherland include, in random order:
  • Pavlova with fresh Aussie strawberries;
  • Salada biscuits with butter and thinly-smeared Vegemite poking out through the holes;
  • Kraft peanut butter, never dry or oily;
  • Picnic bars, a delightful blend of wafers, chocolate, and peanuts;
  • Woodie's lemonade, a delicious beverage unique to South Australian champions;
  • Haigh's chocolates, such good sustenance that words fail me;
  • Fasta Pasta, home of the yummy food and cheap red wine in flagons yippee.
If anyone can work out how to get around the Food and Drug Administration, and import these goodies into the States, I will love you forever. And before you ask, I've already emailed Haigh's and they aren't willing to take on the Feds, even despite my protestations that Hershey's just doesn't cut it with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, I think it's a job for Super Dad. He learnt how to smuggle tubes of vegemite so I'm sure he can do tubes of peanut paste and other such delights.

But where did he hide these tubes you may ask?! Well, the magician never reveals his secrets!

Anonymous said...

Hey Gab

I have been reading your blog religiously and keeping up with all your doings but have just never gotten around to leaving a message. Your blog is a guilty lunch time pleasure! However I just had to wade into cyberspace and agree with all they hype for the pie and pint lunch.

We have just put on the same lunch at work today (day before Australia Day)and it was fab. We have so many international staff members that loved it and all the Aussies would never pass up a good pie. They were good too, real meat no gristle mmmm yum!

Have a wonderful Australia Day. It is one of my favourite holidays of the year. Not to make you or Katie too home sick but we are having a BBQ at our place complete with back yard cricket, hottest 100 and sweltering 39 degree heat (air conditioning also provided) and with any luck a kiddy pool if I can buy one cheap this afternoon. Wish you were both here for it.

Cheers
Lee

Unknown said...

D'oh Lee, a BBQ?! You had to go there, didn't you? We all agree that sausages sizzling in a frypan here in the US just don't smell the same (much less taste the same) as the good ole BBQ back home. I miss it. Oooh and the next Aussie to come here needs to bring Iced VoVos. They're not just for people in nursing homes anymore.