Saturday, January 28, 2006

Tell him he's dreamin'

Lexie turns 24 towards the end of February, and has sought my help to find a bar we can go to when her Wisconsin friends converge on Chicago to celebrate the occasion. So last night we went to a sports bar called "Duffy's", which is a few blocks away from our place. I'd been there before with work colleagues for a few beers with the barman, so I knew that it would be the sort of place Lex would like. And sure enough, she gave it the 'thumbs up'.

But last night also attracted the college crowd (what night doesn't around here?). And I met a lovely boy named Ryan. I call him a "boy" because that's precisely what he was. I mean, I felt old enough to be his mother, and yet he came on real strong. Consider our exchange (and bear in mind this is the first time we spoke to each other - EVER):

Him: Do you know who my dream girl is?
Me: I have no idea.
Him: She is Australian.
Me: You don't say.
Him: Yes, and she's got brown hair but she dyes it blond.
Me: (strike one) I see.
Him: Yes, but I hope she doesn't smoke.
Me: No, I'm sure she doesn't. That would be a very unhealthy habit.
Him: I agree. You are now my wife.

Yes, connubial bliss really does happen that quickly here in the Windy City. But I am sad to say that shortly after this amusing exchange, my new husband (plus his cranberry juice drink - "to mask the taste of alcohol, you understand") sauntered off into the darkness, and I never saw him again. But one of his friends did invite me to a sex party around the corner from the pub, so perhaps our paths would have crossed again. Sigh. I guess I'll never know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She has brown hair but she dies it blonde? **tch tch** When will the boys ever learn?!

I didn't realise Lexie was so young. Wish her a happy b/day from all of us - Barkley included......and George....and The Bird. Oh, and the creepers and the crawlers. :)

Anonymous said...

its a pity about the sex party -phill and i would have appreciated reading the
high/lo-lights of the "do"....oh well....next time perhaps ;)