Thursday, December 22, 2005

What do you propose for the girl who has everything?


Pastel presents 3
Originally uploaded by moonborn.
As I get ready for work in the morning, I listen to a radio station that pretty much plays all the easy-listening but contemporary music not designed to make your ears bleed before you've even had coffee. It's hosted by two boring jerks that feebly try and outdo each other in the 'wit and wisdom' department. But as Christmas Day approaches, the morning show has been asking listeners to phone in with their views on the art of gift giving. Because as we all know, getting a Christmas present right is a real 'gift'.

I've been listening to wives rat on husbands who allegedly 'forgot' it was Christmas and swung by the gas station to buy cheapskate flowers; then boyfriends that bankrupted themselves buying diamond tennis bracelets for their new 'loves' (insert spewing noise here); and there seems to be a real prevalence for giving gift cards this year. I always thought vouchers were a cop-out, but apparently they are the latest 'thing' and everyone loves them. And I suppose as shopping becomes more frenetic, it's easy to buy a gift card because at least you know your recipient can use them to buy something they'll like - at their own pace too. So bring on the gift cards, I say. Contact me for my home address and I'll clear out the mailbox in preparation for the onslaught.

But back to my story. I was walking to work yesterday morning, and turned up Randolph Street to walk past the Cadillac Theatre, where I saw "Hairspray" the other night. As a matter of course, I look up at the theatre sign to see the "Coming Soon" features. But yesterday, some busy little bee had been working late in the night to install the letters "Eden - Will You Marry Me? Adam".

And I couldn't help it - I did a goofy little smile. Hopeless bloody romantic, I know. And just at the right time, I locked eyes with a lady coming towards me, and I realised that the same message was on the theatre board facing the other way, because she was giving ME an equally goofy smile. Kindred hopeless romantics, it would seem. The sign is still there this morning, but I tempered my goofy grin this morning, to a rather I'm-happy-for-them smirk.

I do hope Eden said yes, because at least you can return a gift card without breaking a person's heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gabi - no card is on its way to you (yet) for Christmas and I cannot apologise enough. Your wit and wisdom remain undimmed in your blog. I have every hope of spending work days between Christmas and New Year writing feverishly!
Susan