Friday, December 02, 2005

Just you wait, Enry Iggins

I telephoned home last night (my time) and chatted to a work friend I hadn't spoken to since I left Australia. The first thing she said to me was, "oh you're getting an American accent!".

Am I?!

The last thing I wanted to do when I came here was to adopt one of those plummy hybrid foreign accents made infamous by Kylie, Madonna, and Nicole. But if Clare is detecting some unfamiliar tones in my voice, perhaps my efforts have been in vain. I certainly don't sound as American as my new 'countrypeople' (to be all-inclusive), and I'm well aware with each interaction that I speak differently to them.

That said, I do have to admit to doctoring my speech slightly in order to be better understood here. The following is a list of new words I have had to adopt in order to get what I want in this great big land. I confess right now that I cringe when I say some of them - I'll leave you guys to speculate which ones:

sweater
faucet
sidewalk
java jacket (poxy little cardboard thingies that go around take-away coffee)
oatmeal
soda
blizzard


Actually I just threw that last word in because of the weather today - a crisp MINUS 9 DEGREES CELCIUS this morning, and so it's the first word that springs to my mind. I don't want to talk about it though, with ANY accent!

And so I sit here contemplating all the other things I've started to say 'funny'. I am conscious of rolling my 'r's all the more now - because when I order 'water' at a restaurant, I get a blank look. Then I realise they've actually heard the word "worta" and the blank look is entirely explicable. So I have to repeat myself, and articulate the r at the end of my word.

Eliza Doolittle, eat your heart out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

always say to yourself - it's not me, it's them.

And the world will be a better place!

haha

Parisienne said...

What exactly is wrong with a slightly plummy Kylie style accent hey missy? I am not sure how to take that ;)

Good work on the language breaching barriers though. Just remember Eddie's recommendations about American and English pronunication in particular 'erbs.

Anonymous said...

Gabi darling - on reflection, it was just your first few words that sounded yanky but from then onwards it was pure Aussie. Maybe it was my brain saying "omigod a phone call from America" and it just sort of went into American mode for a few microseconds!

Anyway - rest assured, your accent is still beautifully Australian.

Great to chat the other day. Will send through some pics of our Xmas party.

love Clare