Thursday, December 01, 2005

The nearer your destination, the more you're slip sliding away


Caution
Originally uploaded by X-travalueMeal#2.
I have an awkward head. I look silly in a beanie, or hats of any kind for that matter. I've never taken a poll to determine how widespread this assessment is shared, but I neverthless feel like an idiot when I don any piece of headwear. Perhaps it comes from having to wear straw hats at high school during the summer, and then berets in winter. Maybe I'm scarred, I don't know. But fortunately I've been able to avoid putting anything on my head since my schoolgirl days. At least, that is, until this morning.

The snow was falling quite heavily this morning, and settling well on the powdery whiteness that had covered the ground overnight. From my peek outside, I just knew that this was the sort of morning that meant my head would feel super cold if left exposed to the elements. It's weird actually. It is possible for the weather to be TOO cold to snow, but somehow (to me anyway) it actually feels colder when it DOES snow. Maybe it's a state of mind thing.

So I squeezed my egg head into a red knitted beanie and tried not to look at myself in the mirror as I left the house. I have been told that "Chicago in the winter time is not about fashion". Good advice, I thought, and I plan to quote that to anyone who sniggers at me today.

Setting foot outside my apartment, I nearly took a sliding tumble on the concrete footpath. White powdery snow can be damn slippery. When one is wearing knee high stiletto boots that is (as I'm sure many of you are well aware). So as I was cursing my oddly-shaped head, I was equally cursing myself for not having made it to Marshall Fields to buy snow shoes yet.

But somehow I made it to work without falling down (not counting the near misses though), and no one laughed at my head or my beanie - but I have to admit to chuckling at my own hat hair. If you can't laugh at yourself from time to time, what hope is left for you?

Tonight I have made a vow to myself to visit a snow shoe emporium on Michigan Avenue before I head to the premiere of the new Jim Carrey movie. I am not going to suffer the indignity of risking a fall on my butt in the middle of the street - wearing a beanie is bad enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Winter in Chicago is not about fashion eh Miss Stiletto Knee High's!

haha

As soon as you said the red beanie I'm immediately thinking of what you're hair would look like once you got to work. Then again, could have looked worse if it got damp from the snow - messy hat hair versus damp snow hair - decisions decisions!