Monday, December 05, 2005

The blonde that gentlemen preferred


Marilyn at Film Museum
Originally uploaded by liisa!.
What is the collective noun for snow? I know that there is a 'gaggle of geese', and a 'murder of crows', but how does one correctly refer to the inches of snow that fell from the heavens over the weekend? It wasn't a trickle; it wasn't a dusting. It was a dump.

So there you have it - a DUMP of snow. And all the money my parents spent on my education too...

I was fortunate enough to be able to hide from said dumping by closeting myself away at a Film Center downtown. I joined about 30 other cineophiles to enjoy Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".

I tried very hard not to belt out "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" but I couldn't help humming - particularly because the women to my right were doing it. At least I did it in tune, but that's by the by.

I have committed myself to watching a few more Marilyn gems as the special Monroe movie festival rolls out between now and Christmas. All in the name of escapism of course.

Speaking of which, once the movie had concluded, I emerged to the freezing cold State Street and stopped into the Marshall Field's flagship store. The place is beautiful. For Adelaide readers, try and picture what the David Jones store used to be like in the Mall - all marbled, glitz and glamour. Okay, you got it? Marshall Fields is nothing like that. Haha only kidding - it IS like that. The store is an institution in Chicago and, every year, has Christmas window displays that attract young and old to view them. Some of the windows look a little tired if you ask me, but I don't suppose I get a say in this, so I'll butt out.

In any case, Marshall Fields becomes a Macy's store as of February 2006 which has Chicago divided - is it a good idea or not? I'm on the side of NOT - and that's mostly because Macy's conjures up New York for me. Chicago is Marshall Field's town. But as I said, I don't get a say in this so I'll butt out.

So if anybody needs me, I'll be at a Marilyn movie.

No comments: