Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The wheels on the bus go round and round

The latest 'amusing musings' from dear Batreg made me smile. It seems that the Scottish public transportation authorities are remaining true to form in their efforts to make her feel well and truly part of the landscape - almost literally. I would encourage you to take a look at AB's site, if you haven't already done so (or bookmarked it for frequent attention).

But Reg's comments made me think about my own public transportation adventures. Last night I was the very embodiment of the Good Samaritan, as I gave a lady $1 for bus fare. Hey, it was cold and I subscribe to the Golden Rule when it comes to things like this. I'd like to think that someone would lend ME bus fare if it was bloody cold outside and I was financially bereft.

My bus rides each day are actually very quick. From where I live, it is about a 20 minute Downtown in peak hour traffic. I live one block away from the bus stop (very good for winter time especially), and then I walk via Starbucks to get to my office - everybody wins!

And Chicago's Transport Authority (creatively acronymed the CTA) has a great website with a trip planner that assists me to schlep around this great City aboard its very clean buses, and Elevated trains. [Just as an aside, I watched ER the other night and still get excited seeing the EL trains, knowing that they buzz around this town all the time, only a few blocks from my home].

I bought a neat little public transport card that automatically gets renewed each month so I don't have to worry about having the correct change for bus tickets, and the card I use is valid on all public transport modes. All I have to do is wave it over a little scanner when I get on the bus - no mess, no fuss. Now I know that this system is not unique to Chicago. Paris has its Cartes Oranges, and London has a top-up card thingy, but I'm pretty happy with the Chicago Transit Card, and it makes my life so much easier. I should mention that I am not getting paid for this endorsement either, though the idea of that is appealing.

And to bring this post back to where it started, the only criticism I have of the Chicago public transportation system is that its drivers are VERY eager to demonstrate their competent use of their brakes and accelerators. Just like the Scottish drivers, these Chicagoans enthusiastically put the pedal to the metal, and then just as righteously hit the skids.

So if ever I'm forced to stand up on the bus, I join my fellow sardines in a rather intimate dance of excuse mes and sorry about thats the whole 20 minute drive home. But at least I have yet to be hit by a bus, or have one drive right past me. I'll leave that up to Batreg!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

London has the Oyster card dahlink - just so when you pop over next you know.