Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Twinkle Twinkle Dancing Stars


466
Originally uploaded by ntisocl.

I went to the cinema last night with Lexie, to an advanced screening of the movie version of the Mel Brooks musical, "The Producers".

Putting it out there first up, I am not an Uma Thurman fan. Sure, she kicked butt in "Kill Bill" but I just don't think she's an attractive woman. And in this movie, she plays a Swedish stage actress who comically towers head-and-shoulders above the delightful Matthew Broderick. And she can sing, I suppose, so I'm not knocking that. But she's awfully tall and awfully thin, and it just kills me. But it is Nathan Lane and Will Farrell who steal the show, as far as I'm concerned. The film was really good, and so funny. I'm sure that if I saw it onstage I would have found the whole experience hysterical.

What I enjoyed most about the film was the guy sitting next to me. Every time Will Farrell came on the screen, the guy started to laugh...and laugh. I don't think he actually heard any of Will's lines - he was cracking up at the mere sight of him. Now THAT's entertainment!

Emerging from the cinema just after 9pm, I beheld another visual treat. Michigan Avenue is aglow with Christmas lights. My parents's outdoor entertaining area back home is resplendent with some 600+ fairy lights, which I thought was a lot. And so did my Dad, since he hammered them all in! But Michigan Avenue just goes above and beyond the Yuletide call of duty. Every size, style, and coloured light you can think of twinkles and sparkles the length of the Magnificent Mile. It is simply spectacular. Is it wrong that my first though was, why doesn't anyone try and steal these things?.

Anyway, I doubt photos will do them justice, but I'm going back Downtown this Saturday night, so I'll slip my camera in my bag and do my best to take good shots.

Lexie came back from Wisconsin last night with a 6ft Christmas tree to go in our sunroom which, at this time of year, is getting no sun at all. But the room is starting to look festive, and will even get its fresh lick of paint this week, which will be splendid.

It's certainly beginning to look a lot like Christmas, and I find myself getting into the Christmas spirit early. There just doesn't seem to be any Bah-Humbuggery around this town, and I really love that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a wise Auntie once said to us Gab "You can never have too many Fairy Lights".

Thanks Yo and Baby Ahdum.