Monday, November 07, 2005

It was time to move on


Vintage Alarm Clock
Originally uploaded by tokenygaard.
Saturday's trip to IKEA was uneventful but was still a sensory overload. Melissa and I got there at 9am (before the 'breeders', as she calls the weary mothers and their brat children). We were packing the car at 11.30am, so that was a pretty good effort.

I got everything I wanted on Saturday - a 5-drawer chest; a double bed and an innerspring mattress; and a 3-drawer dressing table. Melissa and I hauled everything up the 4 flights of stairs to my shoebox room. And she cared enough to help me put up my bed, which is why I will name my first born daughter after her.

By the end of the day, I was exhausted. Going out for tapas and drinks wasn't a great idea afterwards, but at least it took my mind of setting up furniture and unpacking.

Sunday I actually moved in, with significant help from Caroline, Nicolette, and Rakesh.

I then spent the following hours going quietly mental over a set of instructions for my 3-drawer IKEA dressing table. I only smashed my finger once with the hammer, but have the black fingernail to remind me of my career in carpentry.

But by the end of last night, I'd set up my bathroom with mushroom-coloured towels, matching shower curtain, and clear bubbly non-slip bathmat (might as well get a foot massage while I'm in the shower!).

Speaking of which, water in my shower sprays everywhere and flooded my bathroom this morning. Clearly I was not in the best mood this morning as I realised not only was it Monday, but I was severely decaffeinated and was actually mopping water up in my bathroom. My PJ pants got wet, the bath mat is absolutely sodden, and I was flat.

So there are a few teething problems. But I am going to have another go this weekend at constructing the 5-drawer dresser. And keeping my fingers out of the way this time.

1 comment:

kilabyte said...

Aahh!! the vagaries of flatting. It occured to me (but only much later) that you could also have gone to the local supermarket, lifted a few of the larger cardboard boxes out of their rubbish boxes and set them up on their side at home and voila - instant storage - disposable too.