Friday, November 04, 2005

There's more to us than Peter Allen

I work entirely with Australians and it's quite the oasis in the middle of Chicago. Just as an aside, did you know that Chicago has the largest Mexican population outside of Mexico? Of course you didn't - that's what I'm here for.

And working with Australians, you'd think that there would be no real discernible cultural differences, right? Well that's what I thought anyway, and I've been proven wrong several times. It becomes most obvious when you consider something quintissentially Australian like our music industry.

We were talking the other day about how good it would be to play a range of Australian artists as our telephone 'hold' music. Of course we were talking about screeching ACDC and such, so the conversation was only half serious. Nevertheless we threw around various names and artists and it was good fun to make a list.

But when I threw in Jet, Powderfinger, and 'Princess of the ARIAs 2005' Missy Higgins, I was met with blank stares all round. No one knew who I was talking about! And all these artists have toured the US before. Several times. So then it was MY turn to be stunned. Needless to say, a quick trip to Amazon.com means that the relevant CDs are on their way to me for the Consulate's listening pleasure. And some bloody Aussie musical instruction. [Don't worry Dad, the Consulate has heard of the Little River Band.]

One of the duties of our Consulate is to contact visiting Aussie public figures when they come to town, to welcome them and offer our services if they need anything. There is somewhat of a long line-up to offer our services to Keith Urban (well DUH!), but so far I've not had any reaction in regard to the other artists.

So I feel that it is my national duty to educate my fellow Australians, who have clearly been away from Oz for too long and have much to learn. I think John Howard would support me on that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh
ma
gawd

So, did you break into a rendition of "Big black boots, long brown hair, she's so sweet with her GET BACK STARE - Well, I could see, you home with me, but you were with another man. I know we ain't got much to say before I let you get away - I said, ARE YOU GONNA BE MY GIRL?!"

I find that holding your hand up as a microphone helps with this.