Tuesday, November 01, 2005

How to live in a shoebox without really trying


congested area
Originally uploaded by superhit.

I went and visited my new apartment last night, and I think it's going to take some real time before I feel like I truly live there.

It's got nothing to do with my new flatmates (Lexie and Sarah). They are both lovely and really welcoming. I got my keys last night too - all 4 of them! - and so that makes me feel a bit at home. But the room is bare, and needs a bit of work, so I just know I've got a way to go before I can truly feel comfortable.

Coupled with that, the room is on the small side, and so that makes furnishing it a bit of a challenge. I can still have a double bed, and a dresser, and a side table etc. But I get the feeling that a bit of manoeuvering will be required before I come up with a room configuration that totally works.

In any case, I have given the maintenance man a list of things to do before I move in. Because God knows I'm not going to be up till dawn scraping paint off the door frames so I can close my bathroom door. Forget about that for a joke!

Don't misunderstand this mild rant. I am not second-guessing my decision to move in with the girls, nor am I wanting to moan about my lot in life. I am just realising that now my life abroad is starting to get serious.

So onto the big issues. Like considering what colour I want to paint my room. I think that will give me and the space a real lift.

No comments: