Wednesday, November 02, 2005

If you are among the very young at heart


Cocktail
Originally uploaded by ceydil.

Last night's dinner hardly required us to 'go to extremes with impossible schemes' but I still had Frank Sinatra's song buzzing around my head afterwards.

Caro and I walked to a Mexican restaurant a few streets from her house and enjoyed delicious food and a jumbo lime margarita.

But before we were able to tuck in we had to - wait for it - show our IDs.

Back home I would think that having to show my ID suggested I looked too young to be frequenting the establishment in question. Here, however, it's a different story. If you want to buy or consume alcohol in this country, you must show ID. My friend here used to be a barman, and he said it's a general rule that if someone looks younger than 35, ask them.

Clearly I've still got a few good years left in me, right? Or at least this 'general rule' is a good indicator of how good (or not) I'm looking these days. When the barman stops asking me for ID, it's time to rent a DVD and stay in for the night. Until then, though - keep the margaritas coming...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was the barman cross eyed?

Unknown said...

If it means I get a margarita at the end of our exchange, I do not care if he's cross-eyed, buck-toothed, and playing a banjo.

Actually, if he's all of these things and STILL makes me a margarita, he gets my vote.

Unknown said...

If you jeep up the giant margarita's you'll b well on the way to looking 35+ pronto!