Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Buy your Kleenex shares now


a-choo!
Originally uploaded by two new mommies.

The flu season is upon us, and I know this because....

My flatmate Sarah is home today nursing a very average cold. She looks and feels terrible, and I have been nice enough to offer to pick up lozenges and/or pills of every size and colour that she might require.

I am probably feeling so Catholic because I fell asleep at 8.30pm last night and slept right through to 6.30am this morning. Not a bad kip really. And this morning I feel quite normal, and had a wonderful shower [in my plastic bag] under my sparkly new showerhead. The carpentry wasn't so successful, but I am a master plumber. I draw the line at bum-crack jeans though. I will leave THEM to the professionals.

But today on the bus, I had the unfortunate occasion to sit opposite A Sniffer. I've encountered them before and I'm sure you have too. Those people who neglect to bring a hanky or tissue with them, but proceed to sniff loudly and deeply to ensure that no gelatinous snot emerges from their nose and, instead, lingers in a gooey mess in their sinuses. Gross.

And then the same guy got off at my bus stop and followed me into Starbucks. And then sniffed the whole way to the cashier. Fortunately he had a take-away. Perhaps he was en route to Walgreens to buy a jumbo box of tissues? One can dream.

I'm off tonight to see "Chicken Little" at the movies with my other flatmate, Lexie. Both of us discovered the other night that we are BIG fans of animated feature films, and BIGGER fans of Zac Braff (he of "Scrubs" fame). As Anne Shirley from Green Gables would say, we must be kindred spirits.

1 comment:

kilabyte said...

I know .... sniffers ... go figger. I reckon you can be polite and offer them a tissue (or a sheet or two of newspaper), or you can get them in a headlock and stuff tissues up their nostrils pushing them right up with the blunt end of No. 7 golf iron. Let me dwell on that for a moment .........