Saturday, October 08, 2005

That's my home town

Today I set off rather early to explore Chicago on foot. I was alone, but it didn't matter because it meant that I was on my own schedule; and could see and do anything I pleased.

With this indulgent mindset I headed off across Grant Park, past Buckingham Fountain (taking photos for tourists again), in the direction of Navy Pier.

Owing to a bad sense of direction and some rather confusing highway intersections, I found myself walking AWAY from Navy Pier rather suddenly. But not to be outdone, I walked along the Chicago River, past some of the most glorious condominiums I've yet seen.

And the silver lining to my misadventure was a River Cruise showcasing the architectural history of Chicago. The 90-minute cruise was really interesting, albeit freezing. I took some great pictures, and only managed to get the heads of other tourists in a few of my shots.

Then I walked along Illinois Avenue, inadvertently ending up alongside the Tribune Towers. I popped in for some warmth and postcards, and emerged infront of a trolley car company offering tourist trips. So I jumped on.

I opted for the ride-along version of the tour (rather than the hop-on, hop-off variety) and had a great time. The ride took two hours, and so it was a great and warm way to spend the afternoon.

I saw where Oprah now lives (the top 2 floors of the Ritz Carlton); where Jerry Springer is still taped (the NBC building); and a whole other range of great sites I must revisit. The trolley also went to Navy Pier, but by then it was too cold for me to get out and enjoy the fun. I will head back there another day for sure.

Then I walked along N.Michigan Avenue, past great department stores that I cannot afford to shop in. Found Walgreens pharmacy (akin to Boots and/or Priceline), and I have found my home. PS, don't try the pork rinds. Yuk - my addiction has been cured (pardon the pun).

I stopped off at Benigan's, a neat little bar/restaurant and had spicy tortilla chicken soup. Yum. The coffee wasn't bad either. I learned that waitresses here earn $2 per hour, so that's why tipping is so essential. I tipped well at Benigan's.

By then it was about 5.30pm and I needed to get in touch with Caroline before 6pm. So it was back to the youth hostel, pretending I hadn't checked out this morning, so I could use the phones and internet. Sneaky.

All in all, a really good day. I am tired now, but feeling a little less daunted by this big city. More news and gossip to follow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds beautiful Gab! Tis a shame it was so cold that prevented you from doing everything.

Am glad that the people you work with are friendly and some are kind enough to take you coat shopping. Reminds you that there are still decent people out there.

Not much happening here lately so I think it's up to you to make and share the goss.

Take care and look forward to reading more blogs. :)