Friday, October 07, 2005

Windy City is right!

Had my first day in the Office today and, all things considered, I think I did pretty well. Battling jetlag and the associated splitting headache for much of the day, but at least I turned up, and stayed. I also vowed to come back on Monday, so that is pretty good too.
Of course I got lost this morning, partly because the street on which my Office is located actually runs around a corner. So much for 'the grid system', eh? But I accosted a poor office worker on her way to work and she helped narrow things down for me. She even walked with me for a few blocks, which was unnecessary but very kind.
It's 8:50pm now, and I have just returned from a reception, hosted by my Office, for the Aussie runners in this weekend's Chicago Marathon. The weather has been awful today (the sign of things to come perhaps?), so I hope the sun shines by the time the race starts. If nothing else, the Marathon has proven to me why it was so hard to secure Chicago accommodation when I first knew I was coming here!
The Office is really smart, and the people I work with seem really nice. Have already had offers of assistance to find a decent winter coat etc which I think is great.
Will write more next week - this weekend is a busy one, moving out of the hostel and into a spare room graciously offered to me by a UK 'friend of a friend'. Wish me luck!

No comments: