Sunday, October 09, 2005

Cheers and Goodnight


John Hancock Building
Originally uploaded by Thadeus Maximus.
I met up with Caroline last night, who has graciously agreed to let me inhabit her spare room for a few weeks while I find my feet.

In terms of how I know Caroline, the short answer is - I don't. She is a friend of a friend of a friend's friend. Follow? Forget about it.

Suffice to say that Caroline is a Manchester native who has moved to Chicago for work. She has a lovely bunch of friends, many of whom I met last night at The Tasting Room, a cute wine bar on the outskirts of town [with a view like this one!].

Caroline is helping me get organised with a bus schedule; a mobile; and an apartment - all things for which I am really grateful.

We went to a 24-hour diner last night after the wine bar. I revisited "When Harry Met Sally" when the young people on the neighbouring table made the waitress take down THE most complicated order known to man. They couldn't have toast - it had to be rye toasted on one side, with bacon and THEN the eggs on top. Sheesh. And the waitress didn't even bat an eyelid.

Off today to have brunch with Caroline's friends and then into the City, so I know where to get off the bus tomorrow morning. Public transportation can be a confusing thing, so the fact I can catch the same bus as Caroline in the mornings is a big bonus for my confidence. Still, Caroline goes to Washington for work this week (for a fortnight), so I'll be making the bus trip on my own and need to know what I'm doing. Or at least LOOK like I do. Cross fingers!

No comments: