Monday, October 10, 2005

Culture Vulture


cover
Originally uploaded by louise person.
I have to admit that I laughed when people at work said that coming to America would be a culture shock. I didn't appreciate what they meant but, after today's adventure, I think I'm seeing their point.

Today was my first day at work and, going into zero detail whatsoever, it was a great day. Very busy, but nice people, and loads of variety. Spent the day finessing my boss's diary (to iron out the last-minute changes but also to get my head around what we're working on). I am going to be a busy girl in the next year or so.

So while the workplace is as straightforward as always, out in the Big Smoke, I am betraying myself as The Rookie at every turn.

Take this morning's rather simple coffee-purchase. At least, it was supposed to be easy. At the coffee shop adjacent to my building, I ordered my coffee to go, sat down and waited for it to be delivered to me.

For three minutes (that felt like an eternity), the cashier looked at me; I looked at her. We traded smiles. I looked away. I looked back, she was still staring. Why wasn't she making my coffee? Hmm. Because at this particular store, you order your coffee, you get an empty cup, then you go to another counter and pour your own filtered coffee. I felt so stupid. But are there any signs up to explain this procedure? No.

So I came back at lunch time, convinced that I would not be stumped again. Wrong. I ordered my combo lunch (sandwich and salad), but forgot to order it TO GO. So the poor man shows up with my lunch on a plate, and I had to ask him to return to the kitchen and hurl it in a take-away box for me. And the worst thing? I was served by the same cashier as this morning. Lordy.

But the upside to today's cultural exchange is that I successfully navigated the bus route home, and the nearby grocery store without incident. Yahoo for me.

When I don't have to speak to anyone, I am culturally at one with the Americans. It's when I have to speak up that I get into mischief. Bless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safely, it sounds like you had a pretty good welcome. Hope everything keeps going well, hopefully catch you at Christmas!! Lots of Love,
Alix

Jess and Peter said...

Great story....when you read someones experience & it causes you to reflect on yourself then the story has worked...I think you have hit a very important point - most people do not do what you have done because of fear of the unknown & making a fool of themselves; they miss out on heaps!!! The fact that you can laugh & carry on reflects what you are doing. Good luck - you will be successful!!! Peter

Unknown said...

Thanks to all - I am really having a good time here.

My boss believes that Chicago is the City most like Melbourne outside of Melbourne (does that make sense?!). When I walk along Lake Michigan and look at the high rises and skyscrapers jutted up against beautiful gardens and amenity areas, I can see his point.

More stories to follow - stay in touch xo

Anonymous said...

hahahah Gab! Aw I can just imagine you and the coffee lady staring at each other....you smiling.....with your empty cup in hand....

Aw, I had a good laugh - and yes, at you, not with you! :)

Thanks for the bottle stopper - VERY nice - what an incentive to drink more champage when I can cork it with my new bottle stopper.