Monday, October 17, 2005

The Sox play baseball, right?


soxcelebrate3
Originally uploaded by sscornelius.
Here in the States right now, all eyes are on the baseball. Particularly in Chicago, where the White Sox are kicking butt in the League (?!) right now.

Word on the street is that we're headed into the World Series and have a pretty good chance of winning.

So I wanted to have a bit of an understanding about all this baseball malarkey. After all, Chicago hasn't won the World Series in about a million years.

And so it was that I found myself adopted by Caroline's friends on Saturday night, and sitting in the beer garden of "Justin's" pub.

It was about an hour later that I came up for air after some animated discussion with her friends and realised that my back was to the TV the whole time!

So I didn't learn too much about baseball on Saturday night. Still, I have a few weeks to get myself together before the World Series.

I have to admit though, the City is really behind their team. The Mayor has put congratulatory signs all over the city lamposts and stuff, and the newspapers have been splashing all kinds of good news stories over the pages every day.

Some of the players are pretty cute too....and they are talented athletes I'm sure.

But I had to laugh when I found out that in baseball, you have hitters and runners, and if someone hits the ball, they can substitute someone to run to first base for them. They OUTSOURCE their running. So they hit a ball, and someone runs like the clappers to first base on their behalf, while the batter goes back to the dugout and has a sandwich.

Big girls.

No comments: