Monday, October 17, 2005

Won't someone please take my money?

I forgot to post about a conversation I had the amusing misfortune to be a part of on Saturday afternoon.

Along the main shopping street near Caroline's (Broadway) is an establishment that lists "Currency Exchange" as one of its services. What follows is a rough transcript of the interaction between myself and the proprietor, a woman of considerable girth and Elton John-style glasses:

Me: Hi, I'm wondering if I can change some British pounds here
please.
Her: No, we don't do that here.
Me: But doesn't it say "Currency Exchange" out there?
Her: Yes.
Me: But you don't change currency here.
Her: No.
Me: That's a little confusing, don't you think?
Her: Yes, but not many people come in here to do that anyway.
Me: Um, okay. Can you tell me where I can change currency
then?
Her: No.

It's about that time that I backed away from the counter, too afraid to ask what she actually DID there. And I still haven't found anyone to change my British pounds for me. You can forgive me for being wary of future stores that advertise "Currency Exchange" as one of their services.

3 comments:

kilabyte said...

Try your bank.

Unknown said...

Don't you think that would be a little too easy? Plus I don't want to pay commission - gotta stay one step ahead of these wily Americans...

Anonymous said...

3 vowel sounds "Oh Ma Gawd"

What a space cadet that lady was.

Did you tell her to take her fricken sign down and then proceed to tear her shop down?! I would have......


maybe.