Thursday, October 20, 2005

Show us yer nuts


These nuts will do !
Originally uploaded by digiquest.

Okay that was a rather unsavoury (!) title for this post, but I was stuck.

I wanted to show you the size of the black squirrels that populate this area. From a distance, they seem almost childlike. They scamper and dash up and down tree trunks, chasing each other like the front yard is their playground.

But close up, they are steely-eyed, fleet-footed little critters with bad roadsense. I've seen a few near misses (thankfully cars swerve), while others have stood toe to toe with an oncoming vehicle, and lost in the most unflattering fashion.

And the black squirrels are bigger than you think they're going to be. In the same way I wouldn't cross a possum in the East Parklands back home, I wouldn't get in the way of one of these guys. I'm kinda panicked that I'll encounter a really brave one that will either mug me, or else run up my leg and sit on my head or something. Either option is equally distasteful, don't you agree?

So I will stay on my side of the footpath (oops, sidewalk) and they can stay on theirs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose if a squirrel was doing the blog, the title might have turned out more like "show us yer tits" - well, an Ozzy squirrel would have - and we wont even mention those pesky beavers.

As for one sitting on your head ... Daniel Boone had a hat!!!

M&M said...

Ha ha!

Had to set up blog account to comment but here it is!

Actually, I just really wanted to email you and don't have your new address for some reason, just your oz one that I can find. So send me a quick one and I'll get back to you.

It's always amusing how you Ozzy's are fascinated by those black squirells. Try getting one in your house/ apartement!

kilabyte said...

Ahhh!!! Meggsy, squirrels in the apartment, bats in the belfry, redbacks on the toilet seat .... you just can't trust nature to stay where it is supposed to stay ... as you will soon find out when you come to the big brown land down under.

Unknown said...

Yes, I think we should arrange a meeting between Meghan and a ring-tailed possum. In the parklands at dawn. And let's see who emerges in tact!

Unknown said...

Quite clearly you can see he's nuts!