Thursday, October 20, 2005

Pennies from hell


Floating dollar
Originally uploaded by Rockies.

American money is a pain in the buttocks. There, I said it.

At first glance, all the paper money looks the same and it feels the same. And because of all that, it causes commuters great consternation to be behind me on public transportation as I check, and re-check the money I give the driver. Well the buses don't give change, and I'm not going to take a $15 bus ride, when other people have paid $2. It pays (literally) to be cautious about these things.

But don't even get me started on the coins in this country! Whoever made the dime and the nickel the same size and the same colour should be run out of town. Preferably by an angry mob armed with spiky pitchforks. I am prepaed to lead this charge, but from the comfort of a heated car of course.

Yes I'm whining, but I miss the feel of Aussie plastic money, a rainbow of colours in my purse. And the way that the Aussie Government did away with 1c and 2c coins - what a stroke of genius.

Since I went away in February, currency from no less than 6 nations has resided in my purse. And I have quantities of all of those currencies left, upstairs in my suitcase. But given the pittance I have, and the dodgy exchange rate each currency is now experiencing, I could cash it in and perhaps just about afford a half cup of lukewarm coffee. Maybe.

I'm sure all of this money-handling stuff will be a source of amusement for a long time to come, but it's actually an irritation right now. I want so much to blend in, but with every cash transaction, I turn into an old lady at the checkout. Not cool.

My American VISA card arrived today and I opened up my purse to give it a home. I discovered, despite the bulge in my purse that threatened to bust the zip, that I have a grand total of $6.73 in there.

I just don't get it.

1 comment:

kilabyte said...

And I've still got euro that no bank wants to change back into Ozzy becoz they "only do notes". Well of course they do, except when you go the other way and they provide coins ..... duhhhh!!!