Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I've 'bean' apartment hunting


lunch time
Originally uploaded by andrewc.
This is a picture of a shiny silver statue in Millennium Park here in Chicago. Interestingly (I guess), the City just spent some exorbitant sum to polish the sculpture that locals affectionately call the Soy Bean - much to the sculptor's dismay, I'm sure.

Of course, the photo is not relevant to this blog posting (naturally), except to assure you that the following story takes place in the same City. And given that there's no connection like a tenuous connection, let's just move on.

I found a place to live!

Details will be forthcoming for those of you interested in these domestic situations, but I am a very happy girl.

After Halloween I'll be moving into an apartment to share with two other girls, friends who have moved here together from Wisconsin. One is in insurance (financy things), and the other is a Graphic Designer. They are as new to Chicago as I am, so we can work this big town out together!

My room is not large, but has its own bathroom joined onto it, which is both rare and a special treat for me. The room is unfurnished, but I've already been considering the IKEA range of bedroom furniture, and am planning to visit there with a girl from work next weekend.

The rest of the apartment is great. It's what they call a "third floor vintage walkup", which just means it's in an old building, on the third floor - with no lift. Eek. But there are only three floors in the whole building, so it's no so bad. Given we're on the top floor, it means that I won't ever be disturbed by high heeled shoes trampling the floor above my head. Fantastic news.

The rest of the flat is furnished beautifully with dark wooden floorboards througout; high ceilings; and lots of natural light.

It's also in the same area I'm living in now, only about 5 blocks in the other direction. It's on my same bus route, so no need to learn any new timetables or bus numbers. I am close to supermarkets, restaurants, coffee shops, and that suits me just fine.

So great news from this side of the world - more news and photos to come!

No comments: