Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Chicagoan Halloween


Ewok brothers
Originally uploaded by Naofrog.
Have made plans to go out on Thursday night and shop for a Halloween costume. This is no small task, because clearly we've all left it very late this year and will no doubt have to settle for whatever's left in the store.

Firstly let me clarify that Halloween in Chicago (indeed across the US and Canada) is as big for adults as it is for the kids.

So I am going to join fellow boozehounds in a costumed pub crawl on Saturday night. Starting with cocktails at Rakesh & Nicolette's house, then we move to a funky bar Downtown, and then to the same club with the Russian bouncer that I visited last weekend.

I'm not so keen on that last venue but by that time of night, I might just find the rhythm to move my feet to the sound of house music. And then hell might freeze over.

But before I set out for the store, I have been doing a little brainstorming about the things I wouldn't mind wearing if I actually DID get a choice and don't have to pick through the dregs after all.

So let's see. It will be freezing cold walking between bars and clubs. My first choice is therefore to moonlight between venues dressed as an Ewok, hence the photo. In any case, I figured a full-blown Chewbacca costume would be a little long in the leg!

But the Ewok is the OUTER costume (a fabulous fur coat of sorts). I was considering leaving the Ewok costume in the cloakroom at the clubs I go to because, underneath it all, I will be resplendently frocked up as a princess or a pixie or something equally girlish and simple to piece together.

Of course I will end going as none of these things, both due to lack of interest and lack of motivation to trawl the stores for that perfect ensemble.

I bet you $5 that I end up going to Walgreens, buying a tray of facepaint (no doubt toxic) and go as Frankenstein's Bride or something!

But in my heart of hearts, an Ewok would be my favourite costume. Dead easy, very warm, and no makeup required. I will just need to remember to outrun the anti-fur demonstrators!

2 comments:

kilabyte said...

And to out-run the amorous advances of any male black tailed squirrel who may mistake you for a (somewhat) largish country cousin and wish to spend the coming winter in hibernation with you. Come to think of it, watch the booze intake because black tailed squirrels (or is that weasels??) have been know to mix mickeyfins for unsuspecting females for the same reasons.

Unknown said...

Did you never watch an Ewok movie? They're all armed with lasers, and I intend to be similarly equipped. Squirrels be hanged.