Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Let's Go, White Sox!


Sox fan
Originally uploaded by the Runyon.
I don't know how it happened, but somewhere between Saturday night and today, I became a baseball fan.

It's 1.53am here in Chicago and I should be in bed. But instead, I'm sitting at my PC full of adrenalin; pumped from having sat through 5.5 hours of baseball.

The White Sox have taken the World Series against the Houston Astros 3-0. This is monumental for Chicago, and I'm quite sure if I rang the Mayor's Office, he would answer the phone with an excitable squeak.

No-one quite knows what to think. The World Series is a 'best of 7' game, so if we win the next 2 matches, we will take out the title. If that happens, I think Chicago will simply implode with excitment. I can't wait to be part of that.

I'd like to say that I will remember forever the key points of the game but, in typical fashion, I was in the toilet for anything remotely interesting that happened. When I emerged, I was greeted with thunderous applause and "High 5 Sweetie" from all the waiters. I had the sneaking suspicion that they weren't congratulating me on my ablutions!

So the City of Chicago is in awe of the Sox. I'm going out again tomorrow night to watch the crucial Game 4. I just hope we wrap it up slightly earlier than tonight's game, else I fear Halloween may be an early night - lest I turn into a jack-o-lantern at midnight?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I doooooo like the weather pixie ... all corporate and like. But an icy chill in them thar legs - only 4 degrees C at 0245 am.