Thursday, August 11, 2005

When it helps to be full of hot air


I'm looking forward to this Saturday, because AB and I are planning to take the train into Glasgow and see the World Pipe Band Championships 2005.

Though I've seen and heard a busking bagpiper or two while I've been in Scotland, I've never experienced 8000 of them in one place. In this instance, it's Glasgow Green. And while I'm not really clear on how to get to Glasgow Green from the train station, something tells me I'll be able to just follow the sounds.

As far as I'm concerned, it's good news that Australia has even flown some pipers over, though they're calling themselves 'techno pipers'. I'm not really clear on what that means, but I suspect it will do for bagpiping what The Tap Dogs did for tap dancing?

I'm looking forward to seeing a sea of tartan on Saturday, and I just hope our boys aren't dressed like jolly swagmen. I don't think I could possibly cheer them on if they were.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh whoopppeeee !!! Be still my beating heart ..... a piping jamboree. How do you sing Kum-bai-ya to bagpipe music???

Unknown said...

With a thick Scottish brogue and a dram of the finest whiskey my poonds can buy. Though not in that order, obviously.