Thursday, August 11, 2005

Kids today don't know how lucky they are

A quick glance out my Office window this morning, and my stomach flipped a little. Because across the walkway from me is a huge University Hall filled with students sitting their supplementary exams.

Though they'd probably disagree wholeheartedly, I think these students are lucky. Like thousands of others before me, and since, I had to sit my Uni exams in a large, drafty exhibition hall at the Royal Adelaide showgrounds. My childhood memories of the hall were ones of cake decorating displays, and showbags.

But these childish reveries were shattered by the adult experiences I had there. Stern-faced examiners, creaky floorboards, and seats that were never quite close enough to the bar heaters. I have never been able to enjoy the Adelaide Show since. In fact, I took a 5 year hiatus from the yearly Show because the University spoiled it for me. You'd think I'd be able to enjoy Sideshow Alley, or at least the pig races, but the Exhibition Hall loomed large from Goodwood Road and made me cringe at the thought of it.

Part of me feels sorry for the students sitting their exams on such a beautiful day here in Paisley, but another part of me knows they are the lucky ones. The Adelaide Show will never be a scary place for them.

No comments: