Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Who the *!@$ is Alice?


Having overdosed on gangster-style violence in the last few days, courtesy of Don Corleone and his hired goons, I feel the need to immerse myself in something a little less brutal. And a little less related to jam making and other freakishly domestic pursuits.

Responsibility for that had to fall to Charlotte Bronte or Lewis Carroll and it was the latter that won out.

So I have started reading Alice In Wonderland. It's pretty hallucinogenic stuff - has anyone ever mentioned that? Talking mice, smoking caterpillars, dodo birds. The whole gang of extra-sensory lunacy is there. I don't know, maybe I'm cheapening the fantasty of it, but I'm not used to this make-believe stuff. But I will persevere. The Bronte book had too many pages.

5 comments:

kilabyte said...

Ahhh, Jaberwocky .... how I miss thee and the Cheshire cat, a true philosopher of his time - right up there with Freud and Nietzsche. But I never understood the talking teapot??

Sean Connery in a very old movie called ZARDOZ made about much sense.

Parisienne said...

Seems to me that it is time for someone to come back to Paris again and go to the Cheshire Cat's maze and on the teapots. Noone else has ever let me go on the teapots! How would you like a return flight for your birthday?

Unknown said...

Noone has ever let you go on the teapots? What kind of friends are you making out there?! Big bullies, that's what.

kilabyte said...

I think I'm missing something on the teapots ...... or are youse guys playin with my moind???

Unknown said...

Nah, nothing code here. Kate's talking about 'Alice's Curious Labyrinth' at Disneyland in Paris - and the spinning teapot ride. Two very tempting attractions, I reckon.