Wednesday, July 27, 2005

I can't let you in here in THOSE shoes, love!



When I was back at home, getting rejected for a job felt like my life was over. Nine times out of ten, I'd put so much effort into the job application, that being told I didn't have a chance at the position (much less an interview) felt like a personal affront and took a while to recover from.

In the early days when I moved to the UK, I applied for so many jobs in such quick succession that I was perversely grateful when the rejections came through. It meant I didn't have to make a commitment about where to live, where to work. It also meant I could delay getting stuck in that 9-5 rut that I knew so well.

But now that I've semi-settled in Scotland, and in somewhat desperate need of cash, I'm starting to think differently about the replies (read: rejections) that have been filling my email inbox. I'm feeling flattened under the sheer weight of them. I'm not even being invited for an interview - despite the clear indication in my CV that I would be willing to relocate to just about anywhere in Europe for the chance to work at something substantial.

In rejecting me, the recruitment people are being polite but dismissive. I know I could seek feedback on the thinking behind each rejection, but I don't know how to ask without sounding defensive. I suspect that I'm perceived to be doing the typical Australian-on-a-working-holiday thing. I'm concerned that they're not keen to give me a job because I don't look like someone who'll stick around. But surely that's not fair? And particularly irrelevant when I've been applying for short-term stints like maternity cover placements and contract posts.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I get to the root of this problem without sounding like I have sour grapes, or accusing them of Antipodean discrimination?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gaarbi,
Are you using big words in your application? Perhaps that's the problem.

Unknown said...

It wouldn't surprise me. It's Australia's ancient convict past coming back to haunt me.

The banks didn't want to give me an account because they feared money laundering.

Now communications places don't want to hire me because I can speak proper. Properly. Whatever.

kilabyte said...

Can't you convice them that a name like Krasowski 'aint exactly cockney for Smith !!!

Anonymous said...

did you tell them in your CV you were taught dancing lessons by Mrs McQewin?

YOu can turn in a circle and shake your hands.....

Everyone needs someone who can do that!!!! :)

Unknown said...

haha it's my mother

She calls me Gaarbi because that's how my Polish granny says my name. I can't pay Granny out too much - in 40 years I'll probably BE her. Yikes.

Unknown said...

Thanks to all for those constructive comments. Dancing, lace teddies, and here I was trying to be QUALIFIED for these jobs. I am so naive!