Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Fear, Surprise, and a Ruthless (In)efficiency



I think I have run the entire gamut of my emotions already today.

Through some spirit of karmic retribution, my earlier post about feeling idle at work has resulted in a torrent of paperwork flooding my desk. As a result, I have never typed so much work-related crap in my life. Coupled with that, I had a meeting at the bank today, in a last-ditch attempt to secure a bank account, while simulteanously preserving my sanity, and not harming the bank staff.

All I can say is, the money launderers and bank robbers have ruined it for the rest of us. I mean, nobody trusts anybody anymore. AB and I turned up at the bank, requisite identification documents in hand (well, in bag), ready to sign any forms and answer any questions.

Being the chicken-shit institution that they are, the bank sent out its Employee Just Out Of Puberty award-winner, whom I shall call Stephen (because that was his name).

Let me just say that we liked Stephen, so we kept our cool and didn't hurt him when he delivered the bad news that our pristine collection of ID-proving documents were insufficient to get us a bank account at this time. Ever the optimist, Stephen jollied us along with his we'll-get-that-bank-account-for-you-soon Mouseketeer spirit, and I got sucked in. The headache that was threatening to engulf my head must have been distracting me.

In any case, we left the bank, somewhat dejected but not defeated, resolving to get the last piece of paper we need before the bank will give us the Holy Grail we have been so desperately seeking - the savings account.

So while this whole banking debacle has been more Python than Lightyear, I'd like to pause and reflect on a Buzz-ism when I say, Never Give Up - Never Surrender.

No comments: