Sunday, March 20, 2005

Bern baby Bern

I am sitting in Geneva right now, enjoying the hospitality of Peter and Jess Gardner in their charming (and surprisingly spacious) new apartment.
There is something about Switzerland I am really responding to. The weather is really beautiful (around 18 to 20 degrees during the day), and the food and wine is clean and fresh. Coupled with the scenery - are those really the Swiss Alps? - I am having a great time here.
We have just come from 3 days in the capital city, Bern - photos to come. I had a great time in Bern, and we checked out all the things to see - monuments, museums, cafes - the whole thing. Oh and we stayed an extra night so we could be part of Museum Night 2005 (nerds!). But the night was fun - all the museums in Bern stay open till 2am and you can buy a master ticket that lets you go through them for free. Something for everyone.
And to top it all off, I caught sight of a man named Uli walking down the main street with his wife. Uli was a guy who was in my French class in Vichy (France) when I was there in 2001. He didn't see me though, and I took a few minutes to register it was actually him so he was gone by the time I fully noticed it. Typical.

So we're in Geneva now until Thursday, when we board the train to Venice for Easter. The next few days will be sight-seeing, having lunch with Jess at the United Nations (as you do), and enjoying the clean air and stunning views that Switzerland affords.
Hope all is well - more news to come, and more pics to be posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What are the chances of goind overseas and running into someone you know!? And we thought Adelaide was bad for that!

Sounds like Switerzerland would be beautiful this time of year. Pick some grass and shove it in your pocket and bring it home with you - we can grow Switzerland Grass in our back yard... :p

xoxo