Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Royalty and their pets

A few times in the course of writing this blog, I've carried on about the things I like in life. And in the course of 2004, one of the things I've come to better appreciate is Aunty ABC. I used to think that she was the domain of cardigan-wearing old farts interested in warts-and-all international politics presented by cardigan-wearing old fart war correspondents.


But in 2004 the ABC turned the proverbial corner in my estimations and presented me with a virtual cavalcade of quality programming - Degrassi Junior High (freaked me oot that it was back on TV); Kath & Kim (look at moi); and even the 7pm news took on a whole new glow once that annoying weather woman FINALLY had her baby (and the finance guy is lovely even though he talks gibberish).


All this said, last night's ABC viewing left me wondering what the point of existence was. I learned more than I cared to know about royalty and their pets. In a non-stop procession of silver-spooned vowels, the eminent British actress Penelope Keith interviewed a stream of smelly nutters about regal penchants for pugs; partiality to Pekinese; and caring for Corgis.


Did I care that Queen Victoria (the frumpiest of them all) had a number of ratty, yappy dogs? Will my life change knowing that screwball Queen Anastasia had the Faberge crew carve replicas of her beloved pets in semi-precious stones?


If it seems like I paid a lot of attention to an otherwise crappy production, it's only because I had lost the TV remote control, and therfore HAD to endure the torture. Really.

No comments: